NORVIS is an annual full week-long early music course in Durham which we’re proud to describe as one of the UK’s longest-established and friendliest early music summer schools.
- If you love playing early music, a week at NORVIS will enable you make progress
- We teach and perform with recorders, viols, lutes, baroque strings, harpsichord and voices, and cover a wide range of repertoire from early renaissance to late baroque.
- We have an impressive line-up of specialist performers and teachers.
- We have a particularly generous student-tutor ratio, with around eighty students and thirteen wonderful tutors.
- We give a number of bursaries to enable individuals to attend NORVIS.
NORVIS offers a wonderfully packed and varied programme of activities. The first session daily, is a taught class in your chosen instrument or singing. These include Solo Bass Viol, Viol consort, Solo Recorder, Recorder, Singing, Baroque Strings, Harpsichord and Lute/Theorbo. We have a large team of wonderful tutors.
After coffee, the second session puts emphasis on developing ensemble skills rather than individual technique.
Participants may join the NORVIS Baroque orchestra or the choir, make up their own informal playing groups or have time to themselves. We have Choice of Delights sessions, a rich variety of classes aimed to broaden our musical horizon.