It’s the time of year when, as a member of Making Music, you will need to renew your membership. All group memberships and insurance policies expire on 31 December 2018. This page will tell you all you need to know about the renewal process.
Changes to membership fees
For the first time in five years, inflation and the rising cost of running mean that we need to make a small increase to membership fees for 2019 to enable us to keep investing in services for you, cover our higher running costs, and continue to help you do what you enjoy. Find out more about the membership fee changes and what the new fees are.
This is the quickest and easiest way to renew.
- You can still pay using whichever method suits you best – by BACS, cheque, or online by card as part of the renewal form. If you want to pay by BACS or cheque just select the 'Pay later' option and send the payment – we will do the rest.
- The online renewal form will do all the calculations for you, including PRS and discounts.
So if you renew online, pay by BACS and use the online PRS programme submission form you can do the whole thing without a stamp and a trip to the post office.
If you need help with the renewal process please read the FAQs below first, as they may have the answers you need.
1. Your group’s income – your membership fee depends on your group’s income. This should be your full income (not profit) in your most recent set of declared accounts.
2. Which level of insurance cover you require (if applicable) – you can view details of our different insurance packages here. Please note: if your income is over £100,000 you must have custom cover.
Custom insurance: if you have custom insurance cover for 2018, Making Music Insurance Services will contact you soon regarding your cover for 2019. When you renew you will have to supply the custom quote amount.
If you have not previously had a custom insurance policy but require one for 2019, contact Making Music Insurance Services directly before you renew to get a quote on 01482 388611 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm).
3. PRS fees – as part of your renewal you must either:
- declare you don’t owe any PRS fees via Making Music
- pay PRS fees due for performances between 1 November 2017 and 31 October 2018.
If you pay PRS fees before 12 December you will receive a 5% discount on PRS fees. This applies to PRS only and not to membership or insurance.
PRS programme details – if you do owe PRS, remember to send us your programme details so that PRS can correctly distribute the money to copyright holders. You can do this either:
- online: by submitting them using our online form; or by
- post: you no longer have to include a declaration slip – just write the audience size on the programme.
You can use our PRS checklist to make sure you have done everything.
4. For group's with insurance: your group’s Employer Reference Number (ERN) (if applicable) – this only applies to groups with employees who earn more than £192 a week or £833 per month. It does not include freelancers, such as most music directors and accompanists. You can find out more about ERNs here.
Before you start, make sure that you've read the 'What you need to know' section above and that you have everything ready that you need.
Online renewal is quick and easy. You do not have to pay by card – just select the 'Pay later' option if you’d prefer to pay using an alternative method.
MM Group Reps and Treasurers (or any other group 'admin' level user) can renew online through their Dashboard.
- Log in (if you have forgotten your password you can request a new one).
- Go to your Dashboard (via the red button on the right-hand side of your screen)
- The section called 'My Group' is where you will find your group administration options.
- Click on the membership icon and follow the instructions to renew.
Before you begin, it's important that you download the correct form for your group's membership category. If you are not sure if your group has Full or Associate membership you can view a list via the links below.
Paper renewal form
Next, you need to download a renewal form. By downloading, completing and returning a renewal form to us with a request for insurance you are confirming that you have read and accepted the Insurance terms and conditions.
Complete the paper form (the form includes instructions) and either post or email it back to us at:
Making Music, 8 Holyrood Street, London SE1 2EL
Whether you renew online or by paper there are three payment options.
We would prefer it if you could pay us by BACS rather than cheque. We are charged 40p for each cheque we bank and nothing for BACS, so paying by BACS means we can save more money to reinvest in membership services. However we do realise BACS is not an option for everyone, and we are of course happy to accept cheques if necessary.
- BACS: Transfer the payment to – Account number: 00060724 Sort code: 40 52 40. Please use your group’s name as the payment reference.
- Card: If you renew online you can pay by card at the end of the process. If you use the paper form, you can call us and make a card payment over the phone. Call us on 0207 939 6030, Monday-Friday, 10am-5pm.
- Cheque: Send one cheque for the full amount, made payable to 'Making Music', to Making Music, 8 Holyrood Street, London SE1 2EL.
Some discounts on membership fees are available. For online renewals just enter the relevant code from the table below into the discount box on the online form and click 'Apply'.
|Discount eligibility||Discount amount||Discount code|
|Low income (under £1,000/year)||50%||LID|
|Youth Group (all members must be under 21)||25%||YTHD|
|Member of British Mandolin and Guitar Association||10%||BMG|
|Member of Handbell Ringers Great Britain||10%||HRGB|
|Member of Ty Cerdd||10%||TYC|