Jonathan Dove’s new piece Arion and the Dolphin (with words by Alasdair Middleton), commissioned for Making Music member groups with funding from the Nicholas Berwin Charitable Trust, is available on our website for you to see and hear in a recording from the workshop, led by Andrew Fardell and attended by Jonathan, with the Dulwich Choral Society in May.
Conceived as a companion piece for Carmina Burana, the two scores share similar forces; however, there is nothing stopping you programming this as a stand-alone piece, as some of your fellow members are already doing. If you want to be part of the premiere season, then Arion and the Dolphin needs to be in one of your 2015-6 concerts.
If you’re not sure or are now fully programmed, why not consider it for the 2016-8 seasons: it will still benefit from a generous discount from the publishers, Edition Peters, matched by one from Schott’s for Carmina Burana. And it means you can hear the piece performed at one of the premieres before embarking on it yourselves.
The premieres currently scheduled are:
- Dulwich Choral Society - 12 March 2016, All Saints Church, West Dulwich
- Waltham Singers - 12 March 2016, King Edward’s Grammar School, Chelmsford, conducted by Andrew Fardell
- Collegium Musicum of London - 18 June 2016 at St James’s, Piccadilly
- Pro Nobis Singers and Poco Amabile (children's choir) with the Longford Brown Piano duo – 18 June 2016, Ambleside Parish Church, Ambleside, conducted by Clive Walkley
- Portsmouth Choral Union and Southern Pro Musica - 25 June 2016 at St Mary’s Church, Portsmouth, conducted by David Gostick, with countertenor Joe Bolger
- Ely Choral Society and Ely Youth Choir - 9 July 2016 at Haywood Theatre, Ely, conducted by Andrew Parnell
Having been part of the workshop, I think this is an accessible, achievable and fun piece and would recommend it to any Making Music choir. It does involve children’s voices, and a counter tenor, so it’s not entirely straightforward – and if you need any advice on either of those matters, then do get in touch and we’ll try and help.
I look forward to travelling far and wide to hear Arion and the Dolphin in 2016…