It’s the time of year when Making Music membership renewals are due. All group memberships and insurance policies expire on 31 December 2017. This page will tell you all you need to know about the renewal process.
Online renewals: renewing online is the quickest and easiest way to do it:
- You can still pay using whichever method suits you best – by BACS, cheque, or online as part of the renewal form. If you want to pay by BACS or cheque just select the pay later option and send the payment - we will do the rest.
- The online renewal form will do all the calculations for you - including PRS and discounts.
- New this year: you can submit PRS programme details using an online form.
So if you renew online, pay by BACS and use the online PRS programme submission form - you can do the whole thing without a stamp and a trip to the post office.
This page will tell you all you need to know about the renewal process including both online and by post.
All about renewals
1. Your group’s income – your membership fee depends on your group’s income. This should be your full income (not profit) in your most recent set of declared accounts. Membership fees have stayed the same this year.
2. What level of insurance cover you require (if applicable) – you can view details of our different insurance packages here.
Custom insurance: if you have custom insurance cover for 2017, Making Music Insurance Services will contact you soon regarding your cover for 2018. When you renew you will have to supply the custom quote amount.
If you have not previously had a Custom insurance policy but require one for 2018 contact Making Music Insurance Services Directly before you renew to get a quote - 01482 388611 (Monday-Friday 9am-5pm). Please note: if your income is over £100,000 you must have custom cover.
Our insurance premiums have increased for 2017 in line with an increase in Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) from 10% to 12% in June 2017.
3. PRS fees – as part of your renewal you must either:
- Declare you don’t owe any PRS fees via Making Music
- Pay PRS fees due for performances between 1 November 2016 and 31 October 2017
If you pay PRS fees before 12 December you receive a 5% discount on PRS fees. Please note: this applies to PRS only and not to membership or insurance.
PRS programme details: if you do owe PRS, remember to send us your programme details so that PRS can correctly distribute the money to copyright holders. You can do this one of two ways:
- Online: submit them using our new online form.
- Post: alternatively send a declaration slip and programme for each concert that you make payment for to the Making Music office.
You can use our PRS checklist to make sure you have done everything.
4. Your group’s Employer Reference Number (ERN) (if applicable): this only applies to groups with employees who earn more than £156 a week or £675 per month. It does not include freelancers, such as most Music Directors and accompanists. You can find out more about ERNs here.
Online renewal is quick and easy. You do not have to pay by card – just select the pay later option if you’d prefer to pay using an alternative method.
MM Reps and Treasurers (or any other group 'admin' level user) can renew online through their Dashboard.
- Log in (if you have forgotten your password you can request a new one).
- Go to your Dashboard (via the red button on the right-hand side of your screen)
- The section called My Group is where you will find your group administration options
- Click on the membership icon and follow the instructions to renew.
Watch a video walk-through guide
You can download paper renewal forms via the link below.
Please note: it is important that you download the correct form. If you are not sure if your group has Full or Associate membership you can view a list via the links below:
By downloading and returning a renewal form with a request for insurance you are confirming that you have read and accepted the Insurance terms and conditions.
Complete the paper form (the form has instructions included) and either post or email it back to us:
Making Music, 8 Holyrood Street, London SE1 2EL
Whether you renew online or by paper there are three payment options:
- Pay by cheque: send one cheque for the full amount, made payable to 'Making Music', to Making Music, 8 Holyrood Street, London SE1 2EL
- By BACS: Account number: 00060724 Sort code: 40 52 40. Please use your group’s name as the payment reference.
- By card: if you renew online you can pay by card at the end of the process. If you use the paper form, you can call and make a card payment over the phone (for both options there is a 50p charge for debit cards and £4.50 for credit cards). Call on 0207 939 6030, Monday – Friday, 10 am – 5 pm
Our preference is that you pay by BACS rather than cheque. We are charged 40p for each cheque we bank and nothing for BACS, so paying by BACS means we can re-invest more in membership services. But we do realise BACS is not an option for everyone and we are of course happy to accept cheques.
Some discounts on membership fees are available. For online renewals just enter the relevant code from the table below into the discount box on the online form and click apply.
|Discount reason||Discount amount||Discount code|
|Low income (under £1,000/year)||50%||LID|
|Youth Group (all members must be under 21)||25%||YTHD|
|Members of British Mandolin and Guitar Association||10%||BMG|
|Member of Handbell Ringers Great Britain||10%||HRGB|
|Member of Ty Cerdd||10%||TYC|