When it comes to a broad topic like safeguarding it can be difficult to know where to start. To help we've produced a range of resources (including a template policy) and can help arrange DBS checks for you. We'll continue to add to these, but in the meantime if you think we're missing something that would be helpful for groups like yours, do please let us know.
Child Safeguarding – What are your responsibilities?
- Explains why safeguarding is important, looks at the best practice for voluntary groups and provides practical advice on how to make a safeguarding policy to ensure children and vulnerable people are safe.
Template Safeguarding policy
- Following on from the Child Safeguarding – What are your responsibilities? resource, we have also created a template safeguarding policy to be used by our member groups
The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
- Information about Disclosure and Barring Service and what this may mean for your group. The guidance also talks about the definitions of regulated activity and the update service.
How to get Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks via Making Music
- Looks at the process of requesting a DBS check on volunteers or employees via Making Music and includes some best practice guidance.
Request a DBS check through Making Music – Online form
- Use our the online form to request DBS checks
Criminal record checks in Scotland
- Explains how to request DBS checks in Scotland
DBS – FAQ’s
- Frequently asked questions about DBS checks
Child Licensing – What you need to know
- Many groups are increasingly facing problems with your local authorities on child licensing. This resource outlines when you might need to apply for a child license and how to go about doing it.
We hope you find this Making Music resource useful. If you have any comments or suggestions about the guidance please contact us. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that the content of this guidance is accurate and up to date, Making Music do not warrant, nor accept any liability or responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of the content, or for any loss which may arise from reliance on the information contained in it.