Musical Instrument Insurance Plus

Making Music offers fantastic musical instrument insurance, created especially for leisure-time musicians where you need it most.

Many leisure-time musicians think their instruments are covered by their household contents insurance, but unfortunately loss or damage to property away from the home, or to more expensive/'high-risk' instruments often aren't included in home policies as standard.

Musical Instrument Insurance Plus makes it easier and cheaper to get the right cover where you need it most: when you’re at home, travelling, rehearsing or performing.

"It's very reassuring to know that my instruments are covered by a specialist instrument insurance scheme. It was so simple and straightforward to set up, and good value. I just had to choose my level of cover and that was it." - Jane, County Durham 

Why insure with us?

  • All musical property covered (instruments, accessories, sheet music, electronic equipment)
  • No lengthy quote process – pick your level of cover and go!
  • All musical property in the household under one policy (no need to specify items)
  • Cover for losses or damage anywhere in the UK or Europe (not just at home!)
  • Hire costs covered for a temporary replacement instrument
  • Cover in locked vehicles
  • No excess (except for computer equipment)

How much does it cost?


Price (per year)

Level of cover


£42 (£35 members of member groups)

£2,500 cover (single item limit £1,000)


£58 (£51 members of member groups)

£5,000 cover (single item limit £3,000)


£96 (£89 members of member groups)

£10,000 cover (single item limit £6,000)


£113 (£106 members of member groups)

£15,000 cover (single item limit £7,500)

Add Public Liability cover (up to £5M) to any policy above for £26.50

Get insured now

Custom cover

If the levels of cover in our standard packages are not suitable for your needs you can request a custom quote

Request a custom quote

Member-of-member discount

Members of Making Music member groups can claim a discount on the admin fee (£4 instead of £11). To claim your discount, simply enter the discount code found on this Resource page in the discount code box when you purchase or renew your insurance.


About the different packages – general

What is the Making Music definition of an amateur musician for the Making Music insurance scheme?

An individual who does not make their living from being a musician.  It is acceptable if they make some money from musical activities but it should not be the main or a significant source of income.

Instruments and musical equipment are not covered when used as part of professional music activities and public liability insurance does not cover professional music activities.

Can I take out individual insurance if I don’t live in the UK?

No – the cover is Europe wide but you must be a UK resident to take out a policy. 

What do I need to do if I move house?

You must let us know – just contact Making Music to give us your new address.

Can I just have public liability without any instrument cover?

No – the public liability cover is an additional extra – you must have one of the standard policies to access the public liability cover.

Does the additional individual public liability cover also include everyone who is in my household?

Cover is provided for you, your partner any of your relatives that permanently live with you, and any of your domestic employees

About your instruments exceeding the policy limits

The value of my instruments is greater than the Platinum package of £15,000. Can you still provide me with cover?

Yes but you’ll need to contact Making Music Insurance Services direct for a custom quote.

My clarinet is worth more than the single article limit of £7,500 - last time I valued it, it was worth £9,000. Can you still provide me with cover?

Complete the join online form to submit details of your requirement(s) to the insurers for a custom quote.

How do I obtain a custom quote?

You can submit details of your custom requirement(s) to the insurers using our online form.

About the policy – musical property

Does the insurance provide cover for music tech equipment i.e. amps, laptops, audio?

Any electronic equipment which is used for making music is included under the policy. Please ensure the total sum insured should represent the full cost of replacement and that the single article limit is adequate.

Does it cover instruments not actually owned by us, e.g. my son's violin is owned by his school?

Yes. Instruments are covered either under the ‘long term’ or ‘short term’ loan definition and applies anywhere in the UK or Europe.

My son sometimes has to leave his French horn at school. Does the insurance provide cover for this?

Yes. Cover is provided anywhere in the UK and Europe, subject to the general condition that all reasonable precautions are taken to prevent or diminish a loss.

My daughter has gone to university and taken her instruments with her – are they still covered under the policy?

If your daughter is still registered at your home address (the address for the policy) her instruments will be covered when she takes them to university. 

Does the insurance cover me lending my instrument to another individual as part of a musical activity I am involved in?

Our policy covers you and the members of your household’s use of the instruments. It does not cover any other individual playing your instruments – for example if you take your own timpani to a rehearsal and another percussionist plays them they are not covered.

Does the insurance cover my instrument if I lend it to another individual?

Our policy covers you and the members of your household’s use of the instruments covered under your policy. It does not cover any other individual using your instruments.

Is my musical property covered in a parked vehicle?

Yes as long as it is concealed in the glove or luggage compartment or boot and all points of access are securely locked.

My musical property is too big to be stored in the glove or luggage compartment or boot of car. Is it covered on the back seat?

If it can stored in the glove or luggage compartment or boot of the car then it should be. If it is too big it will still be covered as long as it is concealed out of sight and the vehicle is locked and secured.

Do I have to keep a record of the instruments in my household?

One of the great things about our insurance is that you do not have to notify us of what instruments/musical property you have in your household. However, we do recommend that you keep records of your instruments/musical property. This could be a receipt or for older items (where you might not have a receipt) a photo and record of the make and model.  It is not a requirement of the scheme but having a record is good practice will make claims easier.  

If my musical property is lost, stolen, or damaged will I get the full value of the property?

Yes, assuming the full value is within the policy limits.

If repair is possible, we will pay for the cost of repair.

If repair is not possible then we replace on a new for old basis. This means the cover will provide for the cost of buying a new version of the musical property (up to your policy limits). If the model of the item being replaced is no longer in production, we will replace with an equivalent model or specification.

Note: there is an excess of £100 of for computer equipment, this means you have to pay the first £100 of each claim relating to computer equipment.

About your policy

Where can I find my policy documents?

You can find your documents by logging into your account and visiting your Dashboard. If you have purchased custom cover, there may be a 24 hour delay before these are uploaded.

Who are my insurance contacts?

All insurance enquiries are handled by Making Music Insurance Services. You can call them on 01482 388611 or email

How do I make a claim?

Call our claims helpline on 01482 388611 (Monday - Friday 9 until 5) as soon as possible or 0345 300 4006 outside these hours. You must give us any information or help that we may reasonably ask for. You must not settle, reject, negotiate or agree to pay any claim without our written permission. Full details of how to make a claim can be found in our policy document. 

What will happen when I make a claim?

Making Music Insurance Services will process your claim which may involve the insurers contacting you directly.

What if I need to cancel my policy?

If you cancel the policy you may be entitled to a refund of the premium provided that no claim has been made during the current period of insurance, in accordance with the table below.

Short Period Cancellation Scale

Length of period the policy has been in force:

One Month

Two Months

Three Months

Over Four Months

Amount of premium returned:






How do I make a complaint?

We are committed to providing our customers with a high standard of service, but things can go wrong in any business. If for any reason we have not met your expectations, please let us know by calling us on 020 7939 6030 or write to The National Federation of Music Societies, 8 Holyrood Street, London, SE1 2EL.

If we are unable to agree a final resolution with you within 3 working days, or if the complaint is in respect of a claim for redress/compensation, your complaint will be re-directed to MMIS who will immediately activate their own complaints process and in the first instance send you an acknowledgement/first response letter.

Should you remain dissatisfied with the way we resolved a complaint, you may be eligible to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Full details of their service can be found at or you can call them on 0800 023 4567

About the insurer

Who is Making Music Insurance Services (MMIS)?

Making Music Insurance Services is a trading name of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd (Reg No. 0837227) which is part of Jelf Group plc (Reg No. 2975376) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

What is the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)?

The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates insurance. It requires us to give you this information. Use this information to decide if our services are right for you.

Who regulates this insurance?

Making Music Insurance Services is a trading name of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd (Reg No. 0837227) which is part of Jelf Group plc (Reg No. 2975376) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can check this on the FCA’s Register website or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768. Our permitted business includes arranging and assisting with the placing and administration of commercial insurance policies.

Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available from the FSCS website or by calling 0800 678 1100.

What is the relationship between Making Music and Making Music Insurance Services?

Making Music is a trading name for The National Federation of Music Societies, who is an Appointed Representative of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd trading as Making Music Insurance Services (MMIS), which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)


*Terms and conditions

The price includes a Making Music admin fee of £11 (or £4 for members of member groups), which is required to access our musical instrument insurance. For full terms and conditions about the policy, please read the Musical Instrument Insurance Plus terms and conditions.

The National Federation of Music Societies is an Appointed Representative of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd t/a Making Music Insurance Services (MMIS), Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Not all products and services offered are regulated by the FCA (for details see Registered in England and Wales number 0837227. Registered Office: 1 Tower Place West, London EC3R 5BU.