Insurance for music groups

If you organise events or rehearsals you will almost certainly need public liability insurance to protect your members and the general public.

(Photo © Sam Reed Photography)

Membership of Making Music offers you access to a superb insurance package provided by Making Music Insurance Services, underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA). Tailor made for amateur music groups, it provides a comprehensive range of covers including public and employers’ liability, trustee indemnity, event cancellation, property and money.

Even if you add them together, membership subscription and insurance premium usually cost less than the cost of a comparable insurance policy elsewhere: most groups save money simply by joining us and that's before they have even looked at the other fantastic services we provide!

Protection where you need it

The package is tailor made to cover your rehearsals and events and protect your trustees, members and the general public against adverse incidents that arise from your activities and for which your organisation is found liable.

Premiums start at just £43 per year, for a group with less than £21,000 income a year needing ‘Bronze’ level cover.

The basic ‘Bronze’ package includes Public liability, Employers' liability, Trustee indemnity (for registered charities), Money and Products liability.

Or you can opt for ‘Silver’ or ‘Gold’, adding various levels of insurance for property owned, hired or loaned to your group; and to insure yourself against cancellation or abandonment of an event.

The standard covers can also be extended, if you need higher levels, and other types of insurance, such as buildings and travel, can also be provided for you at competitive prices.

Making Music Insurance Scheme Policy Summary

Full terms and conditions

View details of our insurance packages and prices here

About the different packages

What do the Bronze, Silver and Gold insurance package consist of?
What is the Making Music definition of an amateur/semi-professional/professional group and are they eligible for insurance under the Making Music insurance scheme?

The basic answer is that amateur groups do not pay their members anything at all to perform (apart from travel and sustenance expenses) whereas professional groups do. They are eligible for full membership and the lower insurance premiums. Semi-professional groups can of course also join Making Music, but as Associate members; and pay the appropriate Associate member insurance premium. Professional groups can join Making Music as Associate members, but must contact Making Music Insurance Services direct in order to obtain an insurance quote.

We appreciate that there are some grey areas to this which include:

Scenario 1: a group of amateurs, but which reimburses members' expenses, e.g. for travel and sandwich. Making Music will accept such a group into Full membership and so the group is eligible for insurance at the lower rate (provided that the group meets other Full membership criteria).

Scenario 2: a group of amateurs, but rather than reimbursing on receipts, the group give their members a fixed amount for a gig which roughly corresponds to expenses, e.g. £50.

Making Music will accept such a group into Full membership and so the group is eligible for insurance at the lower rate (provided that the group meets other Full membership criteria).

Scenario 3: the musicians in the group have a day job and don't earn their living by carrying out the activities of the group, but members of the group get paid £100 each for each gig/performance. Making Music will only accept such a group into Associate membership and so the group is only eligible for insurance at the higher rate.

What if I need cover that exceeds the limits of ‘Gold’ or I require a custom policy that includes additional cover, such as buildings?

Simply call or send an email to Making Music Insurance Services who will provide you with a competitive quotation to include the additional cover you need.

What if I require the Bronze cover but with a small amount for property – can I obtain a custom quote?

No – you will need to purchase ‘Silver’ cover if you require property cover.

When can I ask for a custom quote?

You can only ask for a custom quote if:

  • Your income exceeds £100,000 a year
  • You need cover in excess of the ‘Gold’ level, e.g. £10M instead of £5M public liability; or a higher level of property or abandonment
  • You need different insurance, e.g. buildings insurance, travel insurance or anything else

About the policy - Property

What happens if my insured values increase past my cover limit?

The sum insured will be the most we will pay. If the sum insured is not adequate, any claim will be reduced in proportion to the degree of under-insurance. For example, if your property limit is £20,000 and your insured property increases past this limit, you should let us know and upgrade to ‘Gold’ cover. If you don’t, you will still be insured up to £20,000, but not for any amount above that.

Is property belonging to the society insured?

If you have ‘Silver’ or ‘Gold’ cover this includes cover for a group’s own property and any property hired or loaned to it. There is a single article limit of £5,000 for any single piece of equipment or instrument hired in and the overall amount of cover is subject to the ‘Silver’ and ‘Gold’ cover limits. Cover is provided on a new for old basis and as such the sum to be insured should represent the cost of replacing the item with a modern equivalent.

Is property belonging to individuals covered within the policy?

The policy is intended to cover the society for its liabilities and property owned by the society. Any property belonging to individuals should continue to be insured by the owner.

Is property temporarily hired in covered?

If you have ‘Silver’ or ‘Gold’ cover then any property hired or loaned to you is automatically covered. There is a single article limit of £5,000 for any single piece of equipment or instrument hired in and the overall amount of cover is subject to the ‘Silver’ and ‘Gold’ cover limits.

Our group owns musical property that is stored at the home of one of our members - is it covered?

Yes – as long it is stored safely and securely it will be covered under the terms of the policy.

Our group owns musical property but it is stored at the home of an individual who is not a member of our group - is it covered?

Yes – as long it is stored safely and securely it will be covered under the terms of the policy. 

Our group owns musical property that is stored in a shared community building (e.g. village hall). The building is secure but our musical property is not stored in a locked cupboard/room and is accessible to other users – is it covered?

If the building is secure the property would be covered. But you should take all reasonable precautions to prevent damage to, and maintain the condition of, the insured musical property. 

Is musical property covered when held in a storage unit?

This depends on the policy of the storage unit.  You should ask the storage unit what their insurance requirements are. If you are not sure if you policy covers them then contact us and supply details of the storage unit insurance requirements. 

Is our musical property covered whilst in transit?

Yes – as long as it is stored safely and securely it will be covered. 

Is our musical property covered in a parked vehicle?

Yes as long as it is concealed out of sight and the vehicle is locked and secured.

What counts as a single item?

Anything you can buy individually would count as a single item. For example a violin and a bow would be separate single items. It does not include replacement parts for an instrument – for example a barrel for a clarinet would not be classed as a single item.  

What is the excess cost on my property cover?

You will have to pay the first £100 of each claim.

About the policy - Trustee Indemnity

Is Charity Trustee Indemnity insurance included?

Yes, this is included up to £100,000

Does the Trustees liability only apply to charities?

No the trustee liability applies to not for profit organisations as well as charities. So cover would be in place for directors of not for profit organisations.

What does the Trustee Liability cover?

The liability covers trustees/directors of not for profit organisations for personal lability claims made against them whilst acting in their capacity as trustee/director. This includes well-meaning, but poor, decisions or actions that cause loss or damage to the organisation. It does not cover deliberately dishonest or malicious decisions or actions. 

About the policy – other

Does Employers’ liability cover our music director?

Making Music Insurance Services covers musical directors who are engaged on a freelance basis as employees for the purpose of liability insurance, since the definition of an employee within the policy includes ‘any person supplied to you or hired or borrowed by you’.

Why do we need Cancellation and Abandonment cover?

Cancellation and Abandonment insurance is a useful cover to safeguard you against situations where you might have to cancel a concert and can’t recoup costs already paid out. Please check your policy documentation to be sure about what's covered, and what is excluded.

Does abandonment insurance cover cases of extreme weather conditions?

Cancellation and Abandonment cover provides some protection against cancellation due to extreme weather conditions, but only in situations where it would be dangerous to proceed.

Can I cover a trailer owned by the Society?

Any trailers should be preferably kept in a locked garage/compound and valuables removed when not in use. However, providing they are secured with a wheel lock then they can be added to the insurance policy. Please note that no cover is provided whilst the trailer is being towed, as this should fall to the motor insurance of the vehicle towing the trailer.

If dance is part of my musical activities, how much dance is acceptable to qualify for insurance cover?

Some Making Music members use dance as part of their musical activities and the question has recently been raised as to how much dance is acceptable to qualify for our insurance cover – since the charitable aims of the organisation are to support those who perform and promote music. Our Insurers have always accepted that dance is a part of some musical activities but what is the golden rule? The rule is that dance should be incidental or complementary to the musical activity and that the dancing element should not be the main focus of your activity. If it is then you would be better served by a policy designed for dance groups.

Is there an age limit on your insurance?

No, there are no upper or lower age restrictions on our insurance. All members of your group and audience will be covered no matter how young or old they are.

Are our members covered for carrying out first aid?

The policy provides cover for activities carried out by First Aiders and ‘Good Samaritan’ acts where an honest and reasonable attempt to help has been made. This includes the use of defibrillators.

About your policy - admin

Where can I find my policy documents?

You can find your documents by logging in to your account and visiting your dashboard. If you have purchased custom cover, there may be a 24 hour delay before these are posted.

Who are my insurance contacts?

All insurance enquiries are handled by Making Music Insurance Services. You can call them on 01482 388611 or email

What is the Policy Summary?

The Policy Summary gives an overview of the levels of cover provided within the Making Music members’ insurance scheme.

What if I need to cancel my policy?

If you cancel the policy you may be entitled to a refund of premium provided that no claim has been made during the current period of insurance, in accordance with the table below.

Short Period Cancellation Scale

Length of period the policy has been in force:

One Month

Two Months

Three Months

Over Four Months

Amount of premium returned:







How do I make a complaint?

We are committed to providing our customers with a high standard of service, but things can go wrong in any business. If for any reason we have not met your expectations, please let us know by calling us on 020 7939 6030 or write to The National Federation of Music Societies, 8 Holyrood Street, London, SE1 2EL.

If we are unable to agree a final resolution with you within 3 working days, or if the complaint is in respect of a claim for redress/compensation, your complaint will be re-directed to MMIS who will immediately activate their own complaints process and in the first instance send you an acknowledgement/first response letter.

Should you remain dissatisfied with the way we resolved a complaint, you may be eligible to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Full details of their service can be found at or you can call them on 0800 023 4567

How do I make a claim?

Call our claims helpline on 01482 388611 (Monday - Friday 9 until 5) as soon as possible or 0345 300 4006 outside these hours. You must give us any information or help that we may reasonably ask for. You must not settle, reject, negotiate or agree to pay any claim without our written permission. Full details of how to make a claim can be found in our policy document 

What will happen when I make a claim?

Making Music Insurance Services will process your claim which may involve the insurers contacting you directly.

About the insurer

Who is the insurer?

Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA)

Who is Making Music Insurance Services (MMIS)?

Making Music Insurance Services is a trading name of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd (Reg No. 0837227) which is part of Jelf Group plc (Reg No. 2975376) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

What is the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)?

The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates insurance. It requires us to give you this information. Use this information to decide if our services are right for you.

Whose products do you offer?

The Making Music Insurance Scheme only offers a single insurance product from Royal & Sun Alliance (RSA). Making Music Insurance Services can offer products from various insurers.

Which service can you provide for us?

The National Federation of Music Societies will not offer any advice and you will need to make your own decision regarding the suitability of any policy of insurance purchased. Making Music Insurance Services is permitted to arrange and assist with the placing and administration of commercial insurance policies and can be contacted on 01482 388611.

Who regulates this insurance?

Making Music Insurance Services is a trading name of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd (Reg No. 0837227) which is part of Jelf Group plc (Reg No. 2975376) and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can check this on the FCA’s Register website or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768. Our permitted business includes arranging and assisting with the placing and administration of commercial insurance policies.

Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

We are covered by the FSCS. You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available from the FSCS website or by calling 0800 678 1100.

What is the relationship between Making Music and Making Music Insurance Services?

Making Music is a trading name for The National Federation of Music Societies, who is an Appointed Representative of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd trading as Making Music Insurance Services (MMIS), which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

Request a joining pack

Join online