Raising funds locally

Competition for funds is stiff, but there is no reason why you shouldn't be successful if you put together a good case. This briefing sheet can help you understand the basis of successful fundraising, help you see giving from the donor's point of view and suggest action you can take to get the money you need.

Top ten tips for approaching the media

The following ten tips will help you build your list of journalist contacts and get your group’s new commission, forthcoming concert or other project into the media.

Tools and tips for attracting funding

This guidance is designed to help you plan a project and successfully bid for funding. The ten top tips offer some rules of thumb for putting together a funding application for trusts and foundations. The project planning template will help lead you through the planning stage, enabling you to bridge the gap between inspiration and delivery.

Trustee handbook

This handbook will help you manage your charity and answers the most common questions about your responsibility as a committee member (trustee) of a charity.

Guidance on using our model constitution

The constitution will put your music group on solid footing in terms of charity structure, regulation and governance and will be hugely valuable in helping you run your group as well as helping to ensure your registration with the Charity Commission is fast tracked. This guidance explains more about what a constitution is and explains why and how you should use our model constitution, including some notes on creating a separate rules and regulation document to go alongside it.

Value Added Tax (VAT)

This guidance covers VAT registration, rates, what is commonly exempt and fund raising events.

Music recording

This guide contains vital information for making a recording onto CD or DVD that keeps groups within the law and recognises fee and rights agreements.

Searching for a Music Director

Need to find a new Music Director? This guidance has some top tips to help you through the process.

Managing risk

As part of running your group you should make sure you identify potential risks that might arise as a result of your activities and any action that needs to be taken. This guidance will help you work out when and how you should do a risk assessment and how you might mitigate any risks identified.

Running a ‘Come and Sing/Play’ event

‘Come and Sing/Play’ events are a simple but brilliant idea: you open up your group for a day, for anyone to come along and sing or play an instrument. This tool kit will help you decide what sort of event you want to run and give you practical advice on how to plan and run an event.